It has really happened, Spring is finally here after a loooong winter. This time every year I fall into a cooking funk caused by lack of inspiration, lack of fresh produce and a deep yearning for sun filled days and warm nights on the patio. What could cure this funk…Tequila, of course!
Tequila is often misunderstood, memories scarred by too many shots of cheap tequila served off the brim of a dirty sombrero, or being forced to lick salt off some stranger in a bar- in order choke down that cheap shot or the worst offender, a violently ill morning after sickeningly sweet margaritas. Tequila is so much more than stupid drinking days gone bad. It is actually an amazingly delicious spirit, with depth of flavor unique to each brand. So fear not and greet the sunshine of Spring with a delicious tequila drink.
Good quality tequila is important to all drinks, you don’t have to buy the most expensive bottle (unless you want to sip it on the rocks with just a squeeze of lime), but a nice middle of the road bottle will be perfect for a tequila cocktail. Give these unique recipes a try and I hope your love for tequila blooms like spring flowers…but of course,if you would rather lick salt off of strangers in a bar, have at it!
RECIPE: TEQUILA SANGRIA
This is a refreshing, not sweet sangria that is made by the pitcher ahead of time and great for a party.
- 1 bottle white wine (I like the tart crispness of sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio, use wine you like the taste of)
- 1 cup good quality tequila (again use what you like the taste of)
- 1/2 cup St Germaine (a must have for a well stocked bar)
- About 2 cups fruit ( 1 lime halved and sliced, strawberries sliced and blackberries)
Place all ingredients in a pitcher or jar and stir/shake every half hour or so. Let sit for at least one hour before serving, this will last for 2-3 days in refrigerator, after that the fruit gets a bit too tequila soaked- even for me.
Serve over ice, if you want an even lighter version top with a little club soda.
RECIPE: ICED GINGER TEA WITH TEQUILA & AGAVE
I love freshly brewed ice tea, and am a huge fan of iced ginger tea. This combination is refreshing, thirst quenching and possibly my new favorite tequila drink. Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS (part = shot glass)
- 2 parts Brewed ginger tea- Chilled (I usually have a pot made and in the refrigerator for non-alcoholic consumption)
- 1part Tequila
- 1/4 lime juice squeezed -save piece of lime for garnish in glass
- Agave syrup (a little goes a long way start with 1/2 teaspoon add more if you like)
Place all ingredient in shaker and shake well, pour into glass and serve!
RECIPE: TEQUILA & TONIC
- and squeeze of lime.
Yes it is as simple as that, just like a refreshing gin and tonic, but with the sweet,spicy, smokiness of tequila. if you want to get fancy and add a little sweetness muddle some blackberries in the bottom of the glass.